Art Challenge - Days 26 and 27

No.1
Mercedes Sosa: 1935-2009. Folk singer. Diaguita Amerindian. Tucuman, Argentina.  I've often found inspiration in her songs.  Love her clear, powerful yet beautiful voice.  Beloved and respected not only for her brilliant career, but also for her tireless work for human rights and dignity, particularly for indigenous peoples of Argentina and throughout Latin America. Was the recipient of several Grammy Awards and served as ambassador for UNISEF.
I don't have a "favorite song" of hers, more like two or three dozen favorites.  I'm including a link to a video I liked someone posted as a tribute to her.  Como un pájaro libre / As Free as a BirdMercedes Sosa sang all over the world and she would tell her audiences "even when you don't understand the language, the heart understands." 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVGBS4iFjE

Study of Mercedes Sosa. 
Acrylics. 8" x 10"
1/3


No.2
I also find much inspiration for my paintings in Literature, and specially drawn to Magic Realism. Fantasy and Reality.  Lots of favorites here as well in both short story and poetry and at the very top of this very long list I would place Jorge Luis Borges as the author whose work has most inspired me.  He was a short story writer, essayist and poet. Buenos Aires, Argentina.  1899-1986.  Most familiar with his books Ficciones,1944 and The Aleph,1949.  His writings are unequal in narrative richness.

  Study inspired by Funes el memorioso
Funes the Memorious
Acrylics. 12" x 18"


Comments